Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Updates

It's June now and I last posted in January, so I think it's fair to say that I've had a bit of an unscheduled hiatus. In this respect, the job situation has continued to be killer (though the continued possession of a regular income has been very nice indeed), and I don't foresee a change to that. Nonetheless, especially with summer here--and the opportunities it brings to take pictures of LEGO at later hours--I find myself wanting to get back into the blogging habit.

That said, I'm not planning to bring AqBN back as a weekly feature. I've had enough experience over the past few years to say that I don't have the requisite interest AND free time to guarantee that I could manage that, and going to a less frequent schedule would just make it easier to forget and easier to put off.

I'm not planning to end AqBN forever, but I think it will go to an "Advent-only" schedule. That was part of the problem when this hiatus rolled around: I'd been cruising so hard to make sure AqBN went up daily in December that I crashed when it was finally done--but, by the same token, while the Advent Calendar was actually still running, I had the enough momentum of interest and passion to keep at it day after day. I know I can't manage it year-round, but maybe I can do it every Advent. Here's hoping, anyway.

If I do succeed in putting things up here more regularly, it will have to be the irregular stuff: Grandfather's Tale, set reviews, and things of that nature. Maybe a Crossed Bricks or two, but for the most part I think that was an experiment that ran its course. I *do* have an idea for a new webcomic, which is a large part of why I'm here dusting things off the old blog, but I'm trepidatious of promising anything when my track record is largely built of hiatus of late.

Assuming I *do* go ahead with this comic, the idea is probably that it will be closer in format and scheduling to Grandfather's Tale than to AqBN--meaning that it would be released in chapters or episodes, rather than weekly strips, and it would have more of a prescripted arc. It would also move away from breaking the Fourth Wall. That was fun, now and again, in AqBN, but as the series progressed, I found that it was a dragging factor on keeping the series going. My natural instincts as a storyteller are not meta at all and tend to dislike mixing the consistency of an internal world with the world of the viewer. It worked here and there and will likely persist in AqBN as it continues, but I know it's not something I would want to hang onto in developing a new project.

No comments:

Post a Comment