Monday, May 20, 2013

Crossed Bricks: 001

Today I want to debut a new comic series here on Grandfather's Tales: Crossed Bricks. The idea is not to replace Aquazone Breakfast News, which should continue apace (and hopefully with no unscheduled hiatuses), but to add to it.

Unlike AqBN, Crossed Bricks is not narrative-driven or character driven. If you think of AqBN as closer to Peanuts, then Crossed Bricks is closer to The Far Side: single panel strips, with little or no continuity from one strip to another.

The major "device" behind Crossed Bricks is to make use of my approximately 1300 minifigs. If it has not come up before, it should be mentioned now that I enjoy cataloguing things and keeping track of them, and having done this in a few ways with my LEGO collection, I am able to "randomly" select minifigs from across my collection. The goal with Crossed Bricks is to do this--and then throw the selected minifigs into a photo together and come up with a funny caption.

Here's the first comic:



Selection Method: I asked my younger brother to select numbers between 1-300, 301-700, 701-1000, 1001-1300. Each of these minifigs is listed under a "census" spreadsheet under those numbers--the fact that we have two Castle figs and two Space figs is an indication of the high numbers of both types of those figs that in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment