Saturday, November 26, 2011

Favourite Pieces

Having been at the LEGO Store last weekend, and having gone through the Black Friday ordeal yesterday I'm at a point where I've been thinking about acquiring sets, and the reality is that I'm pretty happy with my collection of sets currently available. There are a number of sets from the past that I'd like to acquire, and I wouldn't say no to a host of sets out there, but there are no sets that I'm really after.

Insofar as I am still after parts, however, some sets are better than others, and looking at all the sets available this weekend, I've been doing some more thinking than usual about the sorts of pieces that I like--and that I like in large quantities.

This might be occasion for a multi-post series, but one trend came to mind immediately: I like pieces that have both stud-connections (either studs-proper or stud receptacles) and bar-connections. A number of these are what Bricklink calls Plates Modified, such as Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Light and Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Handle on Side. Plates in general sort of qualify for this versatility, insofar as they can be gripped by a clip. Headlight bricks are also awesome.

The problem with all these--and other--bricks is that they tend to come in small quantities. Many, many sets have some, but it's one here, two there, four in that set if you're lucky, and in a host of colours. On the other hand, when I use them in a creation, they tend to disappear at a rate faster than they exist in my collection, or I want to use colours that I don't have them in. So creative changes have to be made.

So, if you're listening LEGO, those are great pieces to have at Pick-a-Bricks.

What about the rest of you? What generic "parts" are high on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment